Monday, October 13, 2008

HELP NEEDED!!!

To anyone that breastfed I need some help. I have been breast feeding my daughter Scarlet who is now 7 1/2 months old and this weekend she refused my breast and then bit my nipple. Since I returned to work when she was 3 months old my supply has dropped. Recently though it has severely dropped and we have had to supplement with formula. I have visited a lactation consultant, taken herbs, pumped after the nursing and so on and so forth with no success. I have started to come to grips with it emotionally but when this happened this weekend it broke my heart (not to mention hurt like hell). I am going to assume that it is because there is instant gratification with a bottle unlike with a breast, and with my supply problem she might have just gotten frustrated. If anyone has any advice please share it, I am not real sure I am total ready to give it up just yet.

2 comments:

Lettie said...

Just wanted to share that Patrick does the same thing to me sometimes.
He has definitely been more hungry lately and I have one side that has a slow letdown and he always gets frustrated and fusses on that side and ends up biting me.
I would keep trying! I know it's frustrating, though. She's probably used to the faster flow of the bottle and is not getting the milk as fast from you. Has your supply improved any? I hope things get better soon!

Katy said...

Thanks Lettie. Supply is still low but I am still getting milk, and just yesterday my breast actually hurt a little when I missed my lunch time pumping. I felt a little encouraged by that as strange as that might sound.